Craving hot chocolate in the summer? Now you can stay cool and satisfy your sweet tooth with a cup of this delicious frozen hot chocolate. It only takes a few simple ingredients to make and is ready in less than 5 minutes!
Sometimes a cold drink is all you need to get through a scorching hot day! Some of my all-time favorites (that you should most definitely try) are this frozen strawberry lemonade, copycat Chick-fil-A frosted lemonade, and classic strawberry milkshake!
Easy Frozen Hot Chocolate Recipe
Does anyone else crave hot chocolate in the summer? Sometimes I get tempted to make a cup until I realize it’s 100 degrees outside. I won’t judge if you make some homemade hot chocolate for yourself, but let me present a better option. When you want some sweet, chocolatey goodness but the temperatures are high, frozen hot chocolate is the answer! It’s cold and creamy, and you only need 5 ingredients to make it. (And one of the ingredients is ice. Does it get any easier than that?!)
This is a staple recipe for hot weather that your kids are going to want on repeat. It’s so easy. They can even make it for themselves! Top it off with some whipped cream, a dusting of cocoa powder, and chocolate syrup drizzle. This makes it a refreshing treat that not only looks good but tastes even better! And if you’re looking for more amazing homemade beverages to finish out the summer with, you can find my full list of recipes here!
Ingredients You’ll Need
As if you needed another reason to make this tasty frozen hot chocolate, the ingredient list is so simple! It’s a great way to use up leftover hot cocoa powder in the summer months. I don’t know about you, but I always buy way more than I need once winter rolls around! Check out the recipe card below for exact measurements.
- Chocolate Milk: It may not be very diet-friendly, but if you want the creamiest version of this drink, use whole-fat chocolate milk!
- Hot Chocolate Powder: I used regular hot chocolate powder for a traditional version of this drink, but feel free to experiment with other flavors!
- Hot Fudge: This is added into the drink itself for flavor, but you can also drizzle it on top for a little extra decadence! You can also use chocolate syrup!
- Ice: Gives this frozen hot chocolate its smooth, chilled consistency.
- Whipped Topping: For a creamy garnish!
How to Make Frozen Hot Chocolate
Frozen hot chocolate is something anyone can make. It’s so easy! If you’re looking for more kid-friendly recipes to preoccupy the littles before they go back to school, I’ve got a full list of recipes here!
- Add Ingredients to Blender: In a high-powered blender, add the chocolate milk, hot chocolate powder, fudge sauce, and ice.
- Blend: Blend on high until the ice is blended and the ingredients are blended well.
- Check Consistency: The end result should be icy and thick enough to eat with a spoon, so feel free to add more ice to achieve that consistency.
- Add Toppings: Top with whipped topping and chocolate shavings if you desire. Enjoy with a spoon and straw!
Switching Up the Flavor
Here are a couple of easy ways you can customize the flavor of your frozen hot chocolate! You’re going to love them!
- White Chocolate Hot Chocolate: For a milky, creamy version of this drink, swap your cocoa powder for white hot chocolate powder, and then use heavy cream or half and half in place of the chocolate milk.
- Make a Mocha Frappuccino: This recipe can easily be converted into a frappe if you blend one cup of chilled coffee or 2 espresso shots into your drink!
Can I Freeze Leftovers?
I recommend serving this drink immediately for the best flavor, but you can keep any leftovers in an airtight jar or container in the freezer and then blend with chocolate milk when you’re ready to serve it!
In a high powdered blender, add the chocolate milk, hot chocolate powder, fudge sauce, and ice.
Blend on high until the ice is blended and the ingredients are blended well.
The end result should be icy and thick enough to eat with a spoon, so feel free to add more ice to achieve that consistency.
Top with whipped topping and chocolate shavings if you desire. Enjoy with a spoon and straw!
Serving1cupCalories410kcal (21%)Carbohydrates70g (23%)Protein7g (14%)Fat15g (23%)Saturated Fat9g (45%)Polyunsaturated Fat0.2gMonounsaturated Fat2gTrans Fat0.1gCholesterol15mg (5%)Sodium657mg (27%)Potassium263mg (8%)Fiber4g (16%)Sugar55g (61%)Vitamin A129IU (3%)Vitamin C1mg (1%)Calcium213mg (21%)Iron2mg (11%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.