Print out all four activities (download complete kit here) and enjoy learning more about the fire through drawing, writing, and crafting in response to amazing images and documents from the museum’s collection.
You can also choose the activities that are the best fit for your family and only print those. The estimated time for each activity is approximately 30 to 45 minutes.
Activities are in English and Spanish. | Las actividades son en inglés y español.
- Introduction to the kit and additional resources.
- Artifact Detective: Use your observation skills to guess what these melted objects were before the fire! Recommended for ages 6 and up. Three pages, but the last page will need to be printed for each child.
- Kid’s Voices Matter! Justin’s Letter: Learn the story of how Justin, his family and his goat survived the fire through the letter he wrote and picture he drew. Then have fun choosing a way to document your own family memories! Recommended for ages 6 and up. Three pages.
- Make Your Own Firefighter Hat: Compare historic and modern firefighter helmets. Then make your own! Recommended for ages 3 (with adult help) and up. Three pages, but the last page will need to be printed for each child.
- The Burnt District Today. Mapping Activity: Use historic and modern maps to trace the path of the fire and mark important places in your own life! Recommended for ages 10 and up. Four pages.